The Quindici Shawl is made of 15 different segments (quindici is "fifteen" in Italian) inspired by some memories of Italy this summer. My family was staying with my in-laws in Ireland and my daughter and I scooted off to Italy and France for a wonderful 10 day adventure. Here are the first eight of the fifteen memory segments. I hope you enjoy them!
1. People watching was fantastic. I adore this picture where the guy is smoking a cigarette and talking on his phone while my kid is in gelato heaven. Two worlds converging into one.
2. My kid taking her friend's toothpaste on a European tour. The Crest was confiscated from our carry-on (it's a gel) so we bought a new, Italian one!
3. The Dangerous Camp for Boys, back in Ireland, that Junior was attending while we left him with my wonderful in-laws. This is where they (the campersL played Manhunt.
4. The Trevi Non-Fountain which was freaking under construction. Consequently, we wondered around, got gelato and then discovered the fascinating underground archaeological site, La Cittá del Acqua. No tourists, clear cisterns with water, nice and cool...a serendipitous finding for my history loving daughter.
5. Foosball on the Tiber. Near our hotel and so much fun after dinner in Trastevere.
6. The visit to the Sistine Chapel and Manny. In the Sistine, my kid sat in repose for a while and then proclaimed, "I think Michaelangelo did a pretty good job." We'll also never forget the loud American woman (not me!) from New York who kept calling, "Maaannnny, come here! Maaaaannny buy me that!" Even now, we like to break into a nice nasal "Maaanny, stop doing that, you're embarrassing me!"
7. An Italian wedding outside the Knitghts of Malta keyhole on the Aventine Hill. Another hidden gem, free of tourists.
8. The Cat Sanctuary at the Piazza del Argentina where we visited again and again, and again and again. (My kid adores cats.) We got the mug and the t-shirt. Took videos. Went inside. Watched from outside. You get the picture...my kid hates cats, ahem.